Change font size
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:46 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Sublime Text 2 - Code Editor (Windows, Mac, Linux)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:58 am 

http://www.sublimetext.com/
First up this thing costs 59US, BUT the trial version is fully functional and has no time limit (although a nag does come up now and again, wonder if it gets more frequent the more I use it?).

Im always interested in trying any code editor I can get my hands on and so gave this one a try....Im really impressed.
At first I wasnt that impressed but after adding some packages and configuring some settings its really growing on me. The problem here is that all settings are done in text files (theres no dialogs) so it took a bit to get things how I like them. But, theres options for everything so after a while you can get it just how you like it.

The look of it is great, got a bit of a Chrome look to it. Theres no buttons tho, all menu and keyboard driven. It starts of with a dark theme but theres alot of theme colors to pick from, I like a white look and found IDLE to be perfect for me (with a few changes). For all you theme editors out there youll be happy to know that everything is themeable and its not hard to figure how either, all the images, positioning, colors are editable.
One interesting thing about the interface is the minimap on the right hand side. This shows all your code as if youve zoomed out enough to see it all. At first I thought this was just a novelty feature, but have come to find it extremley usefull as it allows jumping through the code easy and you learn to know what section of code you want to be at by the look of it....really cool.
On the left side is a list of files you have opened (theres also tabs for that) and you can add folders to the list too which is really usefull. Add a package called SideBar Enhancement and you can do a bunch of cool things straight from the side bar...like right select an image and have it copy an img tag to the clipboard with src,width and height set... very handy. The only thing bugging me with the sidebar is if you click/right click an item it shows the files contents, this can be handy but I find it really annoying when I just want to right click and pick copy tag because I then have to go and click on the tab again...still looking for a way to turn that off.
Packages - The whole thing runs off Python and so you can make addons (packages) using it. There is a package manager you can get that makes installing packages easy....http://wbond.net/sublime_packages/packa ... stallation
Code completion on this thing is sweet.
Theres HEAPS more features that I havent mentioned or still havent learnt about, it really is an impressive editor.

Post subject: Re: Sublime Text 2 - Code Editor (Windows, Mac, Linux)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:13 am 

Bracket Highlighter - Changing its colors
https://github.com/facelessuser/BracketHighlighter (you can install it using the Package Manager)

One of the first packages I intstalled was this, I didnt like the default way of showing brackets and gave this a shot. It works extremley well (did more than I expected), but it took me a little bit to figure how I was meant to change the colors (the docs are a little vague for a noob) so I thought Id write this up.

Goto Prefrences / Package Settings / Bracket Highlighter / Settings--Default
Add....
Code:
   "curly_scope" : "bracket.color",
   "quote_scope" : "bracket.color",
   "curly_scope" : "bracket.color",
   "round_scope" : "bracket.color",
   "square_scope": "bracket.color",
   "angle_scope" : "bracket.color",
   "tag_scope"   : "bracket.color",

... to the file and save.

Now open the themes color file, for me using IDLE that was....
C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Color Scheme - Default\IDLE.tmTheme

Add....
Code:
      <dict>
          <key>name</key>
          <string>Bracket Color</string>
          <key>scope</key>
          <string>bracket.color</string>
          <key>settings</key>
          <dict>
              <key>foreground</key>
              <string>#000000</string>
              <key>background</key>
              <string>#cceeEF</string>
          </dict>
      </dict>

...as the last entry of the settings array and save.
This is the block of code now where you can change its colors.

While youve got the themes colors settings loaded up you might want to go through it and look for other things to change. For instance, change tag names color to something other than the default makes them stand out more (html/xml)....
Code:
      <dict>
         <key>name</key>
         <string>Tag name</string>
         <key>scope</key>
         <string>entity.name.tag</string>
         <key>settings</key>
            <dict>
               <key>foreground</key>
               <string>#21439C</string>
            </dict>
      </dict>